Debby Dearest

Just another UMW Blogs weblog

True Life: Debby Jolissaint – "Second Chances"

April20

“I remember thinking to myself…God, how could you let this happen to me?”
– Debby Jolissaint

This is the firsthand account of the single event that changed life as she knew it. However, it ended up being a blessing in disguise. A blessing that brought my oldest brother, Christopher, into this world. My brother is now 38, living in California, and raising his 2 children. Nicole is now 19 and Christopher III is nine years old.

Here is her story:

“Young, naïve, and barely 18 years old, I thought I was in love. The boy told me that he loved me and wanted to marry me too – the simple words every hopeless romantic teenage girl dreams about hearing.”

My mother got pregnant almost a month before graduating high school. Relationships at such a young age rarely make it through trials such as this. She soon realized that from this point on, life would never be the fairy tail she dreamed of.

“I was 19 years old, alone, and working at a Payless drug store in New Orleans, Louisiana with a small child to support. Life was anything but a fairytale.

Helen Reddy’s song, ‘You and me against the World,’ was number one that year. That’s exactly how my life played out. Life seemed to be giving us no breaks. For years it was just my baby boy and myself. The world was against the world.

My mother encouraged me to come home and live with her and my father, an environment much more conducive to raising my son. They offered to help raise Christopher so I could go to college.”

I had nowhere else to go; nothing left to offer. I was the prodigal daughter. My advice to everyone is this: count your blessings, your family will always love you, and trust in god that he has a plan. I packed my bags and went home to New Orleans. I was offered a second chance by the people who loved me most. I rejoined the Catholic Church, rejoined my family, and began to realize once again that life can have a fairytale ending.

I realized that it was God’s plan for me to get pregnant all along. He wanted to teach me. Having a baby at such a young age was the consequence of my actions; I needed a major dose of wisdom. From this point forward, when I prayed to God I actually listened. Wisdom came my way. Wisdom led me to be celibate, work my way through college, and graduate as a Registered Nurse. My baby, Chris, is now a grown man with a family of his own. He is a wonderful father who volunteers at his son’s school, coaches his baseball team, and makes his own wine in California. Trust in God. He always has a plan.”

6129_1094224152330_1128331228_30245713_6388374_n

Josh and Christopher

23443_1250374976003_1128331228_30602243_1623444_n

Chris and Christopher

23443_1251003951727_1128331228_30603207_4338291_n

Chris and Christopher 2

0419101409

“Self-Portrait” by Christopher Conrad Keating III

posted under Uncategorized