Debby Dearest

Just another UMW Blogs weblog

Reflection

April30

I had a lot of fun and learned so much taking this course.  It has been one of the most enlightening and applicable courses I’ve taken as well. I originally took the course to fulfill a general education requirement.  Needless to say, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  In the end, I walked away with no regrets and a handful of useful skills that will help me in so many ways.

I loved how Professor Groom found so many ways for us to tell stories using Internet tools and various media resources. The assignments were challenging at times, but learning the skills necessary to use the tools made everything worthwhile. My favorite assignment was definitely the overall digital story about my mom. However, if I had to choose a second assignment, it would definitely be the assignment where we combined the use of Jing and Google Street View. Making a brief video about my hometown was harder than it looked, given the amount of time Jing allotted for the video. It’s amazing how quickly those few minutes fly by when you’re talking about something that means so much to you.

Making a blog was probably the most frustrating Internet experience I’ve ever had. Because I signed up for the course 2 days after it had already started, the rest of the students who were given detailed instructions were ahead of the curve.  The thought of 10 dollars automatically being drawn from my account every month made me queasy!! However, once I set everything in motion (with the webhosting account/domain name, etc) that “accomplishment” feeling afterwards was indescribable. I remember struggling to come up with a name for my domain. I thought about what was important in my life and immediately decided to name it after my mother. At this point the blog was solely named after her — I had no idea that she would be the inspiration for my digital story.

Deciding to make my mother the subject of the digital story was one of the most rewarding decisions. My whole family gave their input when I was writing the posts. Afterwards, they would all read and comment as well.  By collaborating, it brought our family closer together as well as gave us a chance to get to know more about each other’s lives.

Honestly, I couldn’t have asked for a better professor. Professor Groom is probably the smartest person I know when it comes to Internet technology. He is so enthusiastic about every facet of this class. His enthusiasm is literally contagious. He has been so supportive and helpful every step of the way. If you needed help or advice on an assignment, contacting him was a breeze to say the least. He took the time to get to know the students, follow their digital stories, and give supportive feedback on how to make it better. I loved how he would gave us creative license to do the assignments any way we wished, as long as they were within the guidelines. For example, Professor Groom assigned us to use Audacity, which is a tool that makes audio files. Given the “has to be a minute and 30 seconds” guidelines, Kenny and I came up with a rather ridiculous/inappropriate audio story.

Overall, this was a phenomenal class to take. I know this is the first semester that this class was offered and it was basically an experiment for each teacher. Professor Groom did an amazing job with this class and taught all of us so many useful skills that will help us in the future.

posted under Uncategorized